Friday, November 04, 2011

Friday Foto


Just a quick post today.  Came home last night with a terrible migraine.  Still have it slightly this morning.  It's going to be a long day.

Those roses I bought on sale Monday.  More importantly is the story of the vase they are sitting in.  My grandfather bought that vase for my grandmother on their first anniversary in 1937.  Somehow, it ended up in my mother's room when she was a girl.  Then it was in my room when I was growing up.  It was one of the few things I was able to take with me when I left home.



Years later, my grandparents came over for dinner and my grandmother spotted it on my tv and asked where I got that vase.  I told her it had always been on my dresser with faded paper roses in it when I was growing up.  Thankfully, she didn't want it back.  We knew the chances of me getting it again when she passed on would be slim to none.

Somehow it has survived all these years through all my trials and tribulations of a house fire, moves, the jerk who liked to throw my things in the garbage, more moves.  I don't know which of girls it will be passed on to, but they'll get it when they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Have a great Friday.  I'll try to, as well.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! Migraines suck!

Rudee said...

I'd fight for that vase, too. I love that cobalt blue.

I hope your headache takes a hike. Migraines are the worst.

Teresa Kasner said...

I hope the headaches ease and go away. I'm lucky and have never had headaches.. knock on wood.

I love the vase and the story of it. It's a survivor like you are!! I have a vase I love too.. I was visiting my aunt in Oklahoma and told her I didn't have anything of my grandmothers.. so she opened a hall closet and pulled out a vintage glass vase, pressed clear glass, and gave it to me. She told me her grandmother passed it down to her mother!

Pretty flowers too!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Cookie said...

I hope you're feeling better by now, sweetie.

What a lovely story that goes with that pretty little vase.

Linda said...

How wonderful that you managed to keep something from your grandmother, regardless of how. I'm sure it holds a calming quality for you. It looks very pretty on the table w/ roses and candle jars. Sorry about your migraine. Sure hope you're feeling better very soon. Have a great weekend!

Julie said...

Super vase, your roses look splendid in it.