Friday, November 25, 2011

Fiber Arts and FO Friday

Happy Friday!  Or is it Sunday?  This is my second of two days off, then I go back tomorrow, Saturday and have Sunday and Monday off.  So, is Saturday my Monday or Friday? I don't know.  I'm sooo confused.



Let's talk about socks.  I can have an intelligent conversation about socks.  I think. Um, maybe. I'll give it a shot.

I finished one sock, so I'm throwing it in the ring for a finish.  This is toe up, using Wendy Knits' pattern Waterfall Socks. (It's free.) I'm using Alpaca Peds yarn in the Kaleidosock colorway. It comes with a smaller skein for the toes and heels but I did toes and cuff.  I'm calling it my Tucson colored sock.  The colors remind of the color accents on the sand colored buildings here.  Terra Cotta, purple and turquoise.





I like the short row toe better than Judy's magic cast on for toe up socks.  I'm tried both so far.  For the heel, I found I liked Fleegle's heel better than the short row heel. It didn't seem to look right using a different color for the heel without a proper flap.


I used Jenny's Stretchy Bind Off for the cuff.  I first used it when I knit a cowl last year and that is what prompted me to try toe up socks.  Previously, I had been worried about the bind off not being stretchy enough.  I think this past year of experimenting, I'm converted to toe-up socks.  Now, I want to get a bunch of 0 and 1 cable needles and give two at once a second try.


Yesterday, I worked on my Bellevue Cardigan in Knit One Crochet Too, teals.  I completed the second repeat of the pattern stitches then dozed off in my chair during a Roseanne episode last night.  


Last Friday, I bought myself a Crazy Zauberball for some socks.  I stared at it in the bag until Tuesday night, when I came home in that foul mood.  So, I cast on a cuff down basic sock.  Too sooth myself, I took it for my bus knitting on Wednesday.  It was a fun knit for two hours when the phone system went down and all was chaos for awhile. 

Did you go out in the madness today?  I stayed home. I slept in to all of 6am today.  It was a high of 56 and cloudy here by noon.  We had rain overnight.  I woke this morning to my left shoulder blade, back and left hip hurting really bad. Needless to say, I didn't spend any time with my spinning wheel.   Spent the day finishing the above finished sock and starting the second one.  That was about all the ambition I had.  Then I took a two and half hour nap at 1:30. It seems like forever since I took an afternoon nap. 

Last week, Frys had a New York Strip roast on sale.  We had not heard of a cut of roast like that before.  It was a $55.00 dollar roast for $17.00.  Yeah, you know you would have carted that thing home too.  Duane noticed there was a little whole in the plastic wrap a couple days ago.  Not wanting a roast like that to get freezer burnt, he took it out of the freezer to thaw.  That was what we had for dinner tonight. 


My plate.  Yes, I sucked the whole thing up.  I need sustenance for my long walk and shift tomorrow. 


Can you believe it has been over 24 hours that this box of chocolates has been in the house and we haven't ripped into yet?  We just sit here and admire the size of it. Temptation will win over one of these days soon.  I guess it can be a bit of blog suspense.  How many days will those two stare at that box of chocolates before they finally give in and open it? 


Thanks for stopping by. Click the following links for more FO's  and Fiber Arts.

8 comments:

Rudee said...

I like your Zauberball. I have one like that in blues and whites. Very tempting to cast on some socks, but it's so cold here at night, I think I'll do a worsted weight pair. For warmth, you know.

The spiral toe up sock is beautiful.

Unknown said...

i love those socks! the cardi looks like it is coming along nicely. Have a good weekend.

Linda said...

Wow, Denise, I love your socks and sweater yarns. Beautiful colors!Hope you both had a nice Thanksgiving. Love that roast beef! Yeah, you can put that on my plate anyday! Btw, thank you so much for the soothing comments to my Thanksgiving blog. It's heart comforting to know that I'm not alone in these matters. Have a great week. Hope your aches and pains subside very soon.

WonderWhyGal said...

LOVE your socks! I am still working on my second pair ever and so many other projects have been finished since I cast them on. Argh!

Hooray for holiday knitting. I love the long weekend where I can enjoy family and fiber arts and not worry about work or shopping, Enjoy yours.

nursenikkiknits said...

That Whitman Sampler box is making me drool! Please take a pic when you finally open it.
I'm loving all the beautiful colours of your projects.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

The sock looks great! I love the colorway.

Julie said...

The toe up sock is lovely, I'ce only just learnt to knit the cuff down lol.

The cardigan looks beautiful, a very intricate pattern, but so effective.

Teresa Kasner said...

I love all the colors of all your socks and the laciness of the sweater you're starting. I'm heading into the kitchen to heat up a plate of turkey leftovers.. then work on my ripple afghan.

****************************************
*H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
****************************************

Teresa :-)