Thursday, March 03, 2011

A Little Bit Better, A Little Bit Quieter

Last night was quiet.  Thank goodness.  Our favorite song came on his bedside radio shortly after I sat down.

Not mushy, types. But we both think this is the greatest love song ever written. Of course, I sat there and boo hooed.  Wish I would stop doing that.

He was asleep, but when he woke up, I read Standing in the Rainbow (Ballantine Reader's Circle), one of my books.  Not something he would read, but it's a nice story.  I think someone half sedated should listen to a nice story, not monsters and aliens.  Love, love this book.

Since his potassium and sodium levels are in the high normal after all that dialysis and his O2 sat was 99 on 80% they decided to start the weaning process again.  He's at between 93-95 on 65% now.  The Dr. wants to do some changes to the vent today to see how bad his lungs really are.

They can't tell because he's still so water logged.  They took off 2 liters on Tuesday, 3 liters on Wednesday which is quite a lot when you look at it.  His hands still look like over stuffed sausages.  He has 3+ edema in ankles.  88lbs/44kilos is quite a bit of water weight. The Dr. said they would know more about his lungs if they can ever get him to a dry state.

This morning he was pretty alert compared to the past several days.  The day nurse put his glasses on him.  He's able to focus and see me now.  Also able to answer simple questions like if he is in pain or not.  He nods for no and blinks once for yes.  I read to him for a couple hours this morning and his bp and heartrate started raising.  The nurse came in and asked him if he was in pain and he blinked yes.  I asked him if he wanted me to stop reading and he just stared at me.  No blink or small shake.  A said on the way home that maybe that one question was all the energy he had to answer.  I thought when the nurse asked him if was in pain and said yes, he meant yes, please shut that pain up over there.

I tried to catch up on blogs last night, but only got through 3 or 4 and I was just too tired. Went to bed and hour and a half early, then attempted to kill the alarm clock this morning.

I took a short video of the birds this afternoon.  The file was too big for flickr by 5mb and is going to take 2 hrs to upload to Youtube.  Something for you to look forward to.

I'll try to catch up with all of you when I can.  This afternoon I making a date with my spinning wheel for about 30 minutes.  I haven't spun for a few weeks and I really miss it.

Thanks for stopping by.


Anonymous said...

I'm glad things were quiet :)

Cookie said...


Anonymous said...


by Teresa said...

Quiet is good... sounds like you're being able to take a breath and that he's on the upswing. Spin spin spin..

I'm tired, presided over a meeting of the Portland Women's Forum today -- always wears me out. Our guest speaker was a cute young thing from the USFS. So pretty she could have been a movie star. sheesh

Thinking of you, D and the fur and feathered kids.

Rudee said...

Wow! What a remarkable turn around you describe. If he can keep off the sedation, then maybe they can pull more fluid off of him.

Go, D! Go!

turtlegirl76 said...

Sounds like he's turned the corner! So glad to hear he's improving.

melbatoast68 said...

I'm so glad to hear things were quiet and improving, you need that. Hope it continues.

Daniele said...

I'm sure he loves to hear your voice.

Hoping for a nice quiet weekend of healing for you as well.

Can't wait to see the birdies! :D

Kat said...

I'm glad it was a quiet night. Maybe I'm Amazed is one of my favorite songs. I just love when I hear it. I will continue to keep you and your DH in prayers.