Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WIP Wednesday

Just a quick post this week.  My patience and attention span is around zero right now.  Last night, I start a new cardigan top down.  The yarn is merino/angora/silk three ply fingering weight that I dyed and spun last spring.


From Knitting Kitties


My neighbor thought I was nuts this past fall when I guarded these skeins drying out on the fence like a mean Pit Bull.  There is about 14 ounces here at $7.20 per oz undyed and I used to sell dyed braids for $18.00 per 2 oz.  You can imagine how much 14 oz of spun fiber would go for especially as this is a one of a kind and I haven't found a factory yarn similar.  She thought I was full of crap.  You knitters and fiber enthusiasists understand the value.



From Knitting Kitties


I'm just playing at a top down short sleeve cardi.  I might keep it as is or decide to rip it out and start again.  The nice thing is this yarn gets fluffier with abuse.  I used a pink/peach version of this for Maude.  Which I'm thinking about ripping this out and making something else, as I rarely wear it because I don't care for the neckline.  It's too low in the back.  I have rounded shoulders so it keeps falling off my shoulders.

I want to thank Crafty Cripple for mentioning the book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Non-smokers Using Allen Carr's Easy Way Method.  I bought this book a few years ago, got half-way through and stopped reading it.  I forgot I had it and have been tearing through boxes like a maniac.  I found it today in the box D had said was all his books and he was supposed to go look for it. Unless he does it right that second, I can forget it.  I waited two days and did it my own self.  Patience 0. Agitation eleventy billion.

Tomorrow I'm having the name Three and Four contest.  D is supposed to help take their pictures later.  I need to find some prizes. They are twins now that all the down feathers are off four, I can't tell them apart. All four birds look to be boys.  Which is just fine as boy birds don't lay eggs and create more birds.

Herbie turned one month on Monday.  He celebrated on Tuesday with a flight around the living room.  I was attaching some seed stick treats to the side of the cage.  Because he's not afraid of me, he went up to my arm and out the space in the door as pretty as you please.  Luckily, D was home and caught him up while I warded off the cats whom were luckily confused. Lucky he was that Butterscotch sat in the middle of the room with a befuddled look on his face. "Did I just see one of those birds fly by?"  The girls were asleep in the bedroom and they wouldn't have sat there befuddled.  Bootise and Tennessee would have been on the hunt.   Herbie is back in the cage without incident other causing me a coronary.

I'm off to go read a two hundred page book.  Thank you for stopping by.  If you would like to see what other's are up to click the badge at the bottom.







13 comments:

Tami Klockau said...

Your yarn is beautiful! I hope you continue on with the cardi. It's looking awesome.

Marushka C. said...

I would have fiercely guarded that yarn, too -- it's heavenly. What a beautiful cardigan it will make!

Christy said...

I love that yarn. It will be so pretty when you are done.

autumngeisha said...

You were right to guard that yarn. Any handspun yarn is irreplaceable because of the time and effort involved in making it. Plus it's such a pretty yarn for a sweater. Good luck with the smoking cessation effort. If you can, try to join a support group either online or in your community. Most of my patients who have successfully quit have told me that having people to talk to who were in the same situation really was helpful.

Delusional Knitter said...

Lovely yarn. Its a good thing when animals are confused. When we moved and had literally a HERD of deer run though the yard and I was standing there with the dog to let her out (she was off leash because she's well trained) we both stood there baffled, and I slowly reached down and grabber her collar. She was too busy trying to figure out what the heck those things were than to do anything about it, LOL!!!

Teresa Kasner said...

Love the blue homespun.. the story of Herbie taking a flight with 3 cats around scared me too. It would have been awful losing our little Herbie after we've all fallen in love with him. We almost had a bad thing happen this afternoon when the UPS man dropped something off, hubby opened the back door to get the package and our Cairn Terrier Buddy zipped out and ran after his truck.. and a busy country road is right in front of our house. Luckily hubby ran out in his slippers and yelled at him to stop and he did.. or who knows. :-(

Affiknitty said...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...your dyeing and spinning skills are amazing! I hope you continue with the cardigan. the yarn looks even more beautiful knit up.

Chrissy said...

I can understand why you guarded the yarn. It is amazing. I am so glad I can't reach through the screen and touch it or I would want to steal it I'm sure!

I'm glad the tip helped and that you make it through the book this time!

Anonymous said...

Eeep! Lucky escape for the birdie! The cardi looks lovely and the subtle variegation in the yarn is going well.

Daniele said...

ooooh! That's going to look great if you continue on. I love how the colors are working out.

As for the birds flying by, I know how you feel. Dixie comes out of her cage when I change her food, etc., and if she takes off there is a mad dash to stop dogs and cats from getting any of her!!

Dina said...

Um duh of course you guarded it! that is some g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s yarn!

Julie said...

oo now that yarn does look nice and soft, its going to be a lovely cardigan.

Non-crafters have no idea the lengths we will go to to protect out stash LOL

Carol said...

Of COURSE you'd guard that with a big stick. That is some FINE yarn there! Muggles just don't get it