Friday, January 07, 2011

FO Friday- The First of @2011

I didn't get a picture of the guy next door yet. I'll post one if and when I do.  It is finished and blocked.  This post is going to be photo heavy so I'm posting them smaller..


From Knitting Kitties
From Knitting Kitties


As usual all wet wool requires a cat guard to be posted.  The pattern I used was The Guy Next Door Cowl with yarn that I had dyed and spun last year.  It is about fingering weight on size 4 needles.


From Knitting Kitties
From Knitting Kitties


This is a highly sought after item and they felt an another guard was in order.


From Knitting Kitties


Normally, like my own cooking, I don't actually care to spin and knit my own dye jobs too often.  This was both fun to spin and knit.  On my laptop the colors are quite accurate.

I was going to post yesterday, however, I woke at 5am and couldn't get back to sleep.  By the afternoon, I had one heck of a headache.

Yesterday morning when I uncovered the bird's cages, Ladybird was in the box.  I peered into the whole and two little white heads looked back out at me.  Huey was up on his green perch.  Little Herbie is up and walking around in the box.  I must have scared him, or Ladybird warned him, because he hasn't peered out since.


From Knitting Kitties
From Knitting Kitties
From Knitting Kitties



It looks like little Herbie has a feather cowl around his neck.


The proud parents Huey and Ladybird. 


As of this morning.  Herbie looks like a mottled white and black.  I've never saw a white and black parakeet before.  It would be my luck, my birds would have a zebra bird.

Remember how I said we ordered some BFL/silk on Monday evening.  It came in yesterday.  The fiber is darker than what it looked like on their website.  I love the natural color so much I decided not to dye it.  When I looked at the tracking and saw that it was out for delivery, I quickly spun up the rest of the fiber in process that I showed you on Wednesday.  Then I wound off the silk onto a tp roll that I had leftover from the alpaca silk project.


I didn't bother to Navajo ply the BFL I finished spinning.  I get to that when I need another bobbin.  I was to anxious to begin spinning this lovely.  It just a bit darker than the photo.  I would call it an oatmeal color.


This after about an hour.  Oh my god, somebody help me, I can't stop spinning this stuff.


This is as of this evening, I have the bobbin almost full.  I spinning this a three ply fingering weight.  On the spinning knitters board on Ravelry, I've seen some beautiful cable sweaters knitted with natural colored fiber. I'm thinking a cabled cardigan of some sort.  Or maybe pair it with the stuff I just finished for a fair isle.  Maybe I can design something with both cables and fair isle.

I really have to hide this fiber when I'm not there to guard it.  The only time Tennessee bothers my stuff is when I have sheep smelling wool.  The minute I opened that bag she came wandering out, sniffing the air. One would think that putting the bag on the high shelf of the bookcase would be enough.  This morning, I found the bag on the floor.  It's good thing I taped it back up.  Tonight, it will have to go into a tote with a heavy box on top, just to be safe. 

Prior to the fiber entering the house, I've been sorting through my 100 cross stitch WIPs, SWIPS and VSWIPS.  Yes, you read that right, One Oh Oh, One Hundred.  You don't want to peep into my WIP totes. Especially, those of you one at a timers.  There should be some cross stitch on here tomorrow night, that's if I can't stop spinning long enough to post. 

Intense Debate is back for this post only, as Blogger or I screwed up settings.   When I post tomorrow we'll be back to Blogger comments. Remind me never install third party commenting again. If you came to the main page, click on the title for comments show.