Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Why I Store My Yarns in Totes with Lavendar

It's been one of those days, only magnified by infinity and beyond. I was looking forward to having a day to myself finally, and get many things accomplished in peace and quiet. Instead, it was one of those days when I should have stayed in bed, unplugged the constant ringing phone, and booby trapped the front door, so the others couldn't get in.

So, I'm not really in the mood to post, but I will because I said I would. It's not for lack of subject matter, I really could write a post a day for a few months, and each be a different WIP, I have in the works. Today, is why I store my yarns in totes with lavender. I've gotten asked this question a few times on ebay. Of course, I would be glad to wash any yarn before sending if requested, in lieu of allergies or dislike of scent.

Firstly, because I don't like the smell of moth balls. We seem to be proliferant with fiber eating moths, where I live. Both cotton and wool alike are high on their menu.

Duane told this past spring there was a small in his socks I knit him last summer. I figured since it was a small hole, I would just felt the area, rather than darn it. The socks spent summer traveling from the top of the dresser, to the bedroom floor then kicked around the room. Until, I would straighten up sorting laundry, where they would begin their journey from atop the dresser again.

A couple weeks ago, when it started getting cold outside, I figured, I would do a quick mend job. Except, this is what I found -



Three very large holes and several, maybe twenty smaller holes. There was even a larva still attached at one spot, bib all tied on, having lunch. I think I'll felt the tiny holes, and darn the larger ones with the small ball of yarn I had left over, and saved.
Besides, it is better to store the yarn I plan to sell in totes right away. It keeps them clean and smelling fresh. Who really wants a skein of yarn that's been lying around dusty and smelling like last nights pork roast with sauerkraut and broccoli?

No comments: