Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Fall Is Finally Coming

(Note, I started this post last night, but got distracted by my neighbor and watching commercials on You-Tube for her homework.)

After last weeks record setting temperatures in the triple digits, it seems fall is finally coming to the dessert. It's nothing spectacular like up north with the leaves changing color. Just color temperatures and the sun has a different glow, I'm told. It was brought in with rain on Saturday, then on Sunday the rain didn't make it past the mountains.

We've been surrounded by rain for the past two days, and supposed to be for 2 more. It has my fibro joint pain flaring. The worst is in my neck, elbows and behind my knees. Hopefully in a couple days the weather will straighten back out and I'll feel better.

From Knitting Kitties


Last year when we arrived in Tucson, we had came from temperatures in the 40's and 50's back in Rochester. I was snickering at the people wearing winter coats on 70's degree days and wondered if after being here a year if my blood will have thinned that much. It's currently 74f and breezy and I grabbed the wool shawl my daughter made me. It does feel kinda chilly. I guess I will have to knit that wool body suit before I go back north for a visit.

I started on the side panel of the afghan last Thursday night, it took 4 days of almost constant work to get through one repeat of the pattern. A couple weeks ago I was reading a thread on Ravelry about women posing with crochet blankets and knitting needles. One lady posted that you can't crochet with knitting needles but you can knit a scarf with an afghan hook. I can see how someone might make that mistake, as you pick up several loops across the row. However, the fabric is more like woven than stretchy like knitting. Here is a tutorial diagram.

From Knitting Kitties

The weather has my elbows and knees really hurting today, so I am working on my Christmas knitting and put a few more inches on the sock. It will be knee highs, so after 4 inches of plain stockinette, I knit 1, knit 2 together, knit around to last 3 stitches, ssk, knit 1 for a decrease row. I will decrease again after 8 plain rows, then 6 rows between decreases 3 times, then decrease every 4 rows until I have 64 sts on the needles. Knit plain until the leg is 12 inches then begin the heal flap.

From Knitting Kitties

Tomorrow is WIP Wednesday, so I'm going to have to find something different to work on for tomorrow's posting.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Lovely sock wool

Thanks for sharing the tutorial for the afghan